Bombay HC seeks a response from the Government on a plea challenging the shift from hotspots to more than 1,200

Written by: Omkar Gohale
| Mumbai |

Published : 4. May 2020. 15:46:35

Identification of the voter is sufficient proof of citizenship, Mumbai court rules

Vice Attorney General Ulhas Aurangabadakar and the Attorney General of S Y Deopujari State requested two days in court to submit their response to the request. (picture)

The Bombay branch of the Supreme Court of Nagpur has asked the Maharashtra Government and the Nagpur Municipality Corporation (NMC) to respond to a request challenging the NMC’s decision to relocate more than 1,200 people, including women and children, from Nagpur’s hot spots KOVID to institutional quarantine.

Sunday, a judge, Anil S. Kilor, heard by videoconference a statement of urgency from a resident, Mohammad Nishat, who claimed that civil authorities had illegally detained nearly 1,408 people from the Satranjipur and Mominpur districts, claiming that these were high-risk contacts for those who tested positive for KOVID-19.

Please | Coronavirus India Live Updates

The operation in the district of Satrangipur, east of Nagpur, began late on the evening of the 27th day. April and lasted until the morning of the 28th. April. Since the fifth. In April, the first coronavirus-related deaths were recorded, with the region at the centre of civil and police administration. The deceased, a 68-year-old man with multiple co-morbidities, had no travel history and it later transpired that he had made contact with a friend of his son-in-law who was associated with the event in Delhi Tables. Since then, the number of cases in the SMC sector has increased.

In a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) brought by lawyer Tushar Mandlekar, it was alleged that the civil authorities did not comply with the COVID 19 guidelines and it was reported that the authorities arbitrarily removed people from certain areas of Nagpur and placed them in quarantine.

Mandlecar said the authorities violated the protocols and guidelines of the central government and India’s Medical Investigation Board (ICMR) and said only those convicted of VIDOC and their high or low risk contacts could be detained and quarantined for 14 days.

According to the complainant, quarantining a person who does not belong to one of these categories constitutes a violation of his fundamental right to freedom of expression and to a dignified life.

Mr Mandlekar quoted press reports and said that the authorities have taken several people from Satranjipura and Mominpura and quarantined them at the WCO Inn and the Wiesweswaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT), which are in busy areas.

According to the guidelines, a quarantine facility in a Community facility should preferably be located on the outskirts of urban areas, away from overcrowded and densely populated areas, in a safe area, Mandlekar said.

However, NIC’s lawyer, Sudhir M. Puranik, explained that the civil authority strictly follows the recommendations of COVID-19 and that patients falling into the category of high-risk contacts are in quarantine and need time to respond to the call.

Dr Pravin Gantawar of the NMC Health Department said that all these people are at high risk and precautions are taken before they are quarantined according to the guidelines.

Prosecutor Mandlekar said he does not deny that the authorities are working to protect the interests of the citizens of Nagpur to contain the VIDOC-19 epidemic.

However, he stated that the petitioner was concerned about the fact that many people were in quarantine zones. The possibility of re-infection of others living near these two places cannot be excluded, according to Mandlekar.

Deputy Attorney General Ulhas Aurangabadakar and the Attorney General of S Y Deopujari asked the court to give them two days to respond to the request.

Tuesday the 5th. Additional hearings took place on 1 May, involving the panel, which sent notifications to the authorities that wished to respond to the request.

📣 ()

For the latest news from Mumbai you can continue to visit our website.